Racing in the Mud at Fort Erie: Heavy Rainfall during the Morning-Cooney K. Wins a Lucky Race, Daily Racing Form, 1907-08-17


view raw text

RACING IN THE MUD AT FORT ERIE. Heavy Rainfall During the Morning Cooncy K. Wins a Lucky Race. Buffalo, N. Y., August 10. The races at Fort Brie today were run over a muddy track as the result of a heavy rainstorm during the morning and showers during the afternoon. The attendance, consequently, was light. Upsets were frequent enough to give the bookmakers a winning day. Stylit, one of Mose Goldblatts recent purchases from Fred Burlew, was the favorite for the opening race, and made a runaway race of it. Bady Henrietta, another from the Goldhlatt stable, went to the post an equal favorite with Monere in the second race, hut got nothing. Monere was interfered witli shortly after the start, but came fast in the stretch and iinished third a head back of Miss Cesarion, which, after leading all the way, succumbed to the veteran Demurrer in the last sixteenth. Chanida, the favorite for the third lace, was beaten in a furious drive by the second choice, Doubt. Anna Smith, the favorite for the fourth race, won all the way, Sallie Suter taking the second place from Hedondo, the second choice. Gilvedear was a surprise in the fifth race. At odds of 10 to 1 he led all the way aud easily defeated the heavily backed Tom Shaw. Cooney K., coming back after his victory of last Tuesday, took the last race hy eight lengths from the unlucky favorite, Gargautua. The Gohlbhitt colt was all hut left at the post aud ran a smashing good race. F. Ilolman, the owner of Croxton and Vagabond, was told to take his horses from the track. The order followed the running of the steeplechase race of yesterday. It developed that a connection had been traced between Ilolman, Boyle and Brenner aud the judges had been keeping a sharp eye on Ilolman. After the race It was learnel that Croxton had run avvay three miles during the morning and under the circumstance his owner should not have started him. Jockey F. Burton, who rode Crafty in the last race yesterday, was suspended for five days. Jockey J. McCarthy, who was on Bonnie Kate when she was knocked down by Crafty, escaped with a few bruises. B. Scliuckinan has shipped his stable to the Empire City track. Several owners are preparing to ship their stables to Montreal this week and rest up for the coming meeting at Blue Bonnets. J. II. Stevens has purchased Winnetta from A. C. Bcllew. II. McCarthy has shipped his stable to Baltimore to take part iu the live days meeting at Pimlico.

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1907081701_1_5
Library of Congress Record: