Newmarkets Tribute to King Edward, Daily Racing Form, 1913-11-19


view raw text

NEWMARKETS TRIBUTE TO KING EDWARD, The new memorial hail . at Newmarket to the memory of the late King Edward, VII.. was formally opened by Viscount Villiers on Saturday morning, November 1. in the presence of a large company. The hall is the design of Mr. A. S. Manning, architect, who presented Ixird Villicrs with a gilt key in a morroco case, suitably inscribed. His lordship spoke of the late King Edwards devotion to sport, and said that wherever Englishmen made their home the first visible signs of the presence of the colony were a race course and a football ground. His late majesty had not only set tliein an example as a sp6ltsulrtnbhhfUMWWt1t.rJhrPCnV Uc Kb!0" of peaee and an example of devotion lU-Xiut$ vylitch would never be forgotten, and the vpfjaarlug lesson that they should all strive to promote good will ami mutual confidence between man and man. It, has lieen a subject of remark that in the medallion of King Edward, -carved in Corse Hill stone, on the front of the Memorial Hall, the kings profile faces to the right of the medallion, whereas on the coins his late majestys profile faced towards the left, each succeeding monarch showing a different envisagemetit. The reason of this is that the committee which dealt with the building of the hall wished that the king should be represented looking towards the race course, and the sculptors, Messrs. Rattee and Kett chose a favorite photograph of the king, by Baron de Mayer, for the clay model from which the medallion was carved "In situ." Loudon Sporting Life.

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1913111901_1_4
Library of Congress Record: