Latest Gossip from Saratoga, Daily Racing Form, 1922-08-15


view raw text

LATEST GOSSIP FROM SARATOGA While on the way to the paddock F. W. Morris Zealot ran away and was excused from starting by the stewards. It was not until almost post time that the ruling was made and there was much surprise when nis rider was taken from the jockey board. The horse had to be treated as a scratched horse, even though there had been action among the memory brokers before he was excused. His withdrawal made some difference in the market, but the stewards at no time take any cognizance of betting, and, for that matter, it had to be figured out by the layers themselves. Money wagered was refunded. There was a private sale of a colt that had been consigned to the sales by Madden and Mosley when Samuel C. Hildreth, for the Rancocas Stable, purchased the son of The Finn and One One for 2,500 privately. The sale was made Sunday and E. J. Tranter was decidedly disappointed that his sale was robbed of such an offering. Another colt by The Finn sold at the A. B. Hancock sale, brought a like figure. One One is a daughter oi Sain. Conditions of the second race on Thursday, August 17, have been changed to read as follows: Steeplechase, for maiden three-year-olds and over ; purse ,000 ; of which 00 to second and 00 to third. Three-year olds carry 130 pounds ; four-year-olds, 140 pounds. Others 145 pounds. About two miles. Matt Brynes has placed his Chestnut Grove farm at Eatontown, N. J., in the hands of the Fasig-Tipton Company for sale. This farm comprises S3 acres of grass land, witli modern stables and plenty of running brooks, polo fields and every attribute for an ideal country estate. Whiskaway was galloped for his new owner this morning for the first time and was indulged witli an easy mile and an eighth by trainer Barnes. He covered the three-quarters in 1:15, mile in 1:44 and the mile and an eighth in 2:00. He was worked with White Star. Sentor Patrick Joyce of the Triple Springs Farm, while returning to Pittston, Pa., after the races Saturday was in a automobile accir dent, in which the former sheriff of Pittston and one other of the party were seriously hurt. Mr. Joyce was lucky to escape with a sevei-e shaking up. Edward Cebrian of California, now a thoroughbred breeder of Kentucky, with a stud domiciled at Keeneland Farm, near Lexington, will introduce Troutbecks progeny to American yearling buyers at the Fasig?iip-ton Companys sales Wednesday night. Robert H. Shannon was an arrival from Cincinnati. He said that Deadlock, which went amiss at Latonia, is mending rapidly and will be ready for racing at Churchill Downs. The Kentucky Derby winner Morvieh dem-. onstrated this morning that he is regaining his best form when he worked a mile in 1 :41 over the main track. He ran the first three-quarters in 1 :13. Jockey J. D. Mooney, contract rider for Frederick Johnson, is nursing a sprained ankle, sustained when he attempted to vault a fence at the race track yesterday morning. He will be out of commission the greater part of the meeting. Phil Chinn returned from Lexington, where he went to arrange for the shipment of his Ilimyar Stud yearlings to the Fasig-Tipton sales here. Faunus, the J. S. Cosden jumper that broke down so badly in the running of the North American Steeplechase Saturday, has been destroyed. H. P. AVhitneys Bunting and Broomster were worked a mile and an eighth after the fourth race. . Bunting easily beat his stable-mate and was timed in 1:54 Jockey Arthur Collins, who was restored to good standing by the Jockey Club last Saturday, will ride for William AVoodward. He has a two-year contract witli him. J. Simon Healy journeyed to Hudson City, N. Y., today to visit his brother Joe, who was injured in an automobile accident while en route here from New York. The run-up of Adonis Saturday afternoon will result in an increase in four of tomorrows purses. The yearlings purchased by Rowe North for winter racing at Tijuana have been shipped to Omaha. Arthur Collins made his first appearance in the saddle after a long suspension when he rode Broomflax in the fifth race. It developed that Kirklevington bled in his race today. J. W. Bean came in from Canada today. He plans to add to his stable. The first, third, fifth and sixth races Tuesday will be worth ,476.-5 each. John J. Troxler left for Toledo, Ohio, where he has several horses racing. Between races Hopeless was worked five-eighths in 1:00, the first half in 47. John J. McGraw, manager of the New York Giants, came up for a few days racing. Mr. Morris and his family, from the Getty House at Yonkers, were arrivals of the day.

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1922081501_1_4
Library of Congress Record: