Ladder Wins at Woodbine: Son of Ladkin and Jockey Foden Winning Combination, Daily Racing Form, 1933-05-27


view raw text

LADDER WINS AT WOODBINE ; 8011 of Ladkin and Jockey Foden Winning Combination. Another Big Crowd Witnesses Toronto Races Muskogee Accounts for the Steeplechase Event. V TORONTO, Ont., May 26. Ladder, strapping five-year-old son of Ladkin and Panoply, which formerly raced for the Mereworth Stud, came back to the races after a lengthy lay-off and simply toyed with the opposition that opposed him in the Newtonbrook Claiming Plate. The Conny Smythe colorbearer raced the fastest six furlongs of the meeting when he was timed in 1:11. A half dozen lengths back of the winner came Devout, from the Hastings Stable, and Frank Serembas Anne L. was third. Happen led home the only other starter. Bubbling Out. The big son of Ladkin was ridden by the veteran N. Foden, who, after sending him to the front at once, had only to sit still all the way and was never threatened at any stage of the journey. Devout, which followed well back on the back stretch, moved up in the last three furlongs into second place, although never able to get within striking distance of the victor. Anne L. raced along in third place from practically the start and was far in advance of Happen for her part of the purse. The fractional, time for three quarters were :23s and :47. The first three furlongs were run in :34, which was all that was needed to take care of such opposition that met the former W. J. Salmon horse in todays offering. There was another splendid turnout for the semi-final days sport of the Woodbine meeting. Weather conditions were all that could be desired. The clouds that threatened rain hung over the course during the early afternoon and a few drops fell previous to the running of the opening race. Soli Gills, a former member of the Seagram Stable, scored handily over the limit field of platers that came together in the three-quarters Alexandra Plate, second on the program under claiming conditions. The William Morrissey representative won by a lengta, going away, from Federal Reserve, from the Four Ls Stable. The public choice, Dr. Syntax, came from last place to earn the show award. A series of mishaps marked the two miles of the Thick Thorn Steeplechase, which was won by John Bosley, Jr.s Muskogee. The accidents started to happen at the first fence, when J. Maclver was unseated from Leadgold and was knocked unconscious when struck by the horse as he tried to roll clear. Thistle John, which had made practically all the running, came a "cropper" at the thirteenth fence and Muskogee inherited a comfortable lead. It was after leaving the back field the last time that Ball made his effort with Curtain Call and narrowing the margin that separated her from the leader coming to the fourteenth jump was going stoutly when the Drennan leaper went down, leaving Muskogee without any serious menace the remainder of the way. Dragon de Vertu, jumping well, closed in his usual steady manner to wear down Red Tarn for second place. Red Tarn showed in front briefly and although tiring at the end easily held the show position from Tombolo, the only other starter to complete the course. Mr. and Mrs. Willis Sharpe Kilmer departed for New York, after witnessing the performances of Polly Egret and Sun Celtic in the Victoria Stakes.

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1933052701_30_1
Library of Congress Record: