New Paddock Erected At Wheeling Downs: Many Other Improvements Made--Meeting Commences May 28, Daily Racing Form, 1943-05-12


view raw text

New Paddock Erected At Wheeling Downs DownsMany Many Other Improvements Made Meeting Commences May 28 28WHEELING WHEELING W Vaf May 11 Racegoers will see changes and improvements in every department of the Island plant when the West Virginia Jockey Club opens its 28day meeting at Wheeling Downs on May 28 28A A brand new paddock has replaced the old covered structure The new paddock follows the Florida style of architecture with stalls in a single row and an uncovered walking ring which is visible from both clubhouse and stand It is directly ad ¬ jacent to the jockey house and also houses facilities for the taking of saliva tests testsHorsemen Horsemen are applauding the erection of two new barns in the west stable area be ¬ hind the big grandstand These new barns will provide quarters for about 60 horses and replaces the emergency affairs used hitherto To the east of the new barns a new road has been cut leading directly to the paddock This will eliminate horses en route to the saddling enclosure being led down the vehicular road roadOther Other improvements include the con ¬ creting of the entire mutuel department painting all over the big plant new stewards room new caterers office and new change booths at the entrance gates

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1943051201_27_1
Library of Congress Record: