Jefferson Park Race Track: Put to Its First Real Test When Heavy Deluge of Rain Falls, Daily Racing Form, 1919-11-12


view raw text

JEFFERSON PARK RACETRACK Put to Its First Real Test When Heavy Deluge of Rain Falls. I : 1 Drainage System Found Perfect Many Arrivals From the East and West. i i XEW ORLEANS, La., November 11. Training operations at both Jefferson Pari: and the Fair Grounds were curtailed yesterday and today because of a heavy rain which made the going at the two courses unusually sloppy. The downpour proved beneficial in one way, however, as it put the new drainage system at Jefferson Park to its first real test, and the way that the water rolled off the course made it plain to be seen that there will be no danger of a flood at that track, as was the case last year. The rcof on the grandstand at the Fair Grounds having been completed, a large number of workmen were able to continue their task of rebuilding other parts of the structure, despite the heavy rain. With delays from bad weather eliminated, the now grandstand will soon be finished. Arrivals from the north and east of horses, horsemen and jockeys were numerous today; The consignments of John C. Ferriss and John Lowe got in -tram Kentucky. triclnded In the Ferriss string was Jack Hare Jr., Col. W. E. Applegafes fine sprinter, while Lowe brought American Ace, one of the fastest sprinters in the country over a fust track. Both of these establishments took quarters at the Fair Grounds, but Lowe will send several horses to Jefferson Park. Trainers Rill Carroll and It. X. Vestal brought two of the largest racing establishments for the winter season here yesterday. The former has nineteen coming two-year-olds belonging to A. 15. Bprockels. while the latter is in charge of the hor3es, twenty-three in number, which are the property of G. L. Blackford and I. E. Clark. The Spreckels horses were bred at their owners farm at Xapa, California, and they are rons and daughters of ltunnyniede, Voorhees and Dr. Leggo. Fourteen colts and five fillies comprise this band. MANY TEXAS-BRED YEARLINGS. There are twenty-two coming two-year-olds and one now two-year-old in the Blackford and Clark consignments. These youngsters wore also bred by their respective owners at Dennlson and Sehul-lcnberg, Texas. They are the progeny of Meelick, Hot-Duck and Everett. These two stables al?o obtained quarters t the Fair Grounds, as they will have nothing to race until that meeting opens on January 1, when the two-year-old races will begin. Jockey Jack Mctcalf, who has been connected with the Spreckels stable for years until he went east last spring, will be back with his old employer again and will ride the two-year-olds fcr him during the winter. Word was received today from George Barnes to the effect that he will send twelve horses here from Louisville Wednesday night. Milo Shields will send along five in the same car. Included in the consignment which Barnes is training for C. W. Clark of Montana will be Sway, which he recently purchased from J. Hal Woodford and which won sit the first asking for his new owner. Shields will have Korbly, which raced with much success over the Fair Grounds track last winter, and Jim Heffcring, a mud horse par excellence, in his stable. Jockeys J. Pitz and J. Glass were arrivals from Louisville. This is the first visit of both of these riders to New Orleans since racing was revived here. Edith L., a four-year-old filly owned by A. L. Kirby, died yesterday morning at the Fair Grounds. She has been ill since her arrival here from Louisville. DELAY IN KENTUCKY SHIPMENTS. The chief damage caused by the heavy r:u of yesterday here was the delay of large shipment, if thoroughbreds, which are en route from Kentucky. The horses of John C. Ferriss and John Lowe were on the road seventy-nine hours coming from Louisville, being delayed by a washout just north of Jiere. Five carloads are held up now above Montgomery, Ala., from the same cause, and they are xieeted in some time tomorrow. These horses liave also been on the road since Saturday. John J. Troxler got in this morning, and failing to find his horses and those of T. Buell, which were shipped in the same car from Louisville last Saturday, he began an investigation and found that a washed out bridge has them held up somewhere in Mississippi. He is bringing only Alula and Bethel 11111 here to race next winter. Before leaving Kentucky he sent Jane Pennybaker and Fern Hand-ley to the Military Stock Farm, near Lexington, to be turned out for the winter, and be sent Khymer and Hasty Cora to Havana with P. J. Williams. Jack Hare Jr., which John Ferriss brought here for Col. W. E. Applegate, was the cynosure of all eyes at the Fair Grounds this morning. It is his first visit to this section and he stood the Ions trip unusually well. Top Coat, which was unloaded off the com suf- fering from shipping fever, has completely recovered and trainer Danny Miller will not have to let up on his training. W. C. Clancy has decided to race Royal Ensign, a mare that he sent to the stud last spring in Kentucky, and she will be brought here within the next few days. She was barren this year, but he had obtained a service for her next year with E. R. Bradleys good stallion Xorth Star III. She is at present at Phil Chinas- farm and has. been in training for some time past. C. 11. Anderson has acquired Aldebaran on private sale from Dr. C. R. Richards. The latter, who is now training the Jefferson Livingston horses at Louisville, also disposed of Sosius toW. H. Fizer, but the horse died upon his arrival here at Jefferson Park. Shipping fever caused his death. James Osborne, assistant to starter A. B. Dade, will send the fields away during the first three dys of the Jefferson Park meeting, as Edward Tribe will be occupied at Bowie at that time. Judge Joseph A. Murphy leaves for Baltimore tomorrow to officiate at the coming Bowie meeting. Jack Reeves, veteran campaigner owned by Ro-mer and Brumfield, will be on the shelf the greater part of the winter. He pulled up in bad condition following a work-out at Jefferson Park. J. W. Schorr lias seven yearlings "in his string of twelve horses that got in today. J. W. Johnson, who came from Latonia, has six yearlings and on-a two-year-old in his establishment. Pat Dunne brought ten horses from Louisville, leaving his good three-year-old Under Fire at E. R. Bradleys Idle Hour Farm for the winter. Another stable to get in from the Falls City was that of J. McPherson and H. J. Seideneck with six horses. George Peterson brought fourteen horses from Xew York and II. Roseacher came In with two. The Peterson establishment was split up, eight being sent to the Fair Grounds and six to Jefferson Park. Jockey Walter Lilley was an arrival from Cheyenne, Wyo. He spent the entire summer "on the western circuit and will ride here as a free lance.

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1919111201_1_2
Library of Congress Record: