Twenty Years Ago Today, Daily Racing Form, 1923-04-16


view raw text

Twenty Years Ago Today Chief Turf Events of April 16, 1903 Racing at Aqueduct, St. Louis, Memphis, Oakland and Lakeside. It is reported from Memphis that S. C. Hildreth will retire Thane for a rest because he shows signs of training off. Whiskey Kings present form is so good that his owner is reported to have decided to send the big horse on to Morris Park to start in the Metropolitan Handicap. The highly-touted Petunia came into her own today when she won the Rose Stakes from the best band of two-year old fillies quartered at the Aqueduct track. Sidney Paget had his own crack filly in this race, Hamburg Belle, but the best she could do was run seventh. This race was a four and a half furlong dash, with ,000 added and ten started. Contentious was the one which cut out the pace, with Julia M. close up and Fickle and Petunia right at their heels. Coming into the homestretch Petunia closed with a rush and passed the first three and was going away at the finish under a hard ride. Julia M. stood a hard stretch drive and outgamed Contentious at the end to take second place. The latter was carried along too fast and tired badly in the last eighth. The Tennessee Brewing Company Stakes at Memphis fell to Henry Burt in the colors of C. E. Rowe. The start for this race was rather ragged and resulted in W. J. Deboe being left at the post and C. B. Campbell. Joe Martin and Foxy Kane were practicaliy eliminated. Foxy Kane set out after the leaders and caught them before they had passed the half-mile post, but the effort told and he dropped back rapidly, finishing seventh. Henry Burt was lucky at the start and gained a big lead which he never relinquished, winning easily by a length and a half from Pericles, which in turn was a head in front of Rolling Boer. The latter only gained third money by a neck from Old Hutch. The latter at one time was close to Henry Burt, but he did not have the necessary speed to get on even terms with him and in the run down the stretch he tired badly. The fair weather of today failed to draw out as large a crowd to Lakeside as that of the opening day and this in the face of a much better card. The sun and a rather cool wind that blew all afternoon caused the track to dry up fast, especially from the center to the inside rail. Toward the outer rail, however, it was still somewhat sloppy. Interest in the days sport centered in the three year-old debut of Gregor K., which was undoubtedly one of the best youngsters in the mud hereabouts last year. The scratching of St. Minor, which was generally regarded as the only horse entered in the race that was likely to give him an argument, sent Gregor K. to the post a 1 to 3 favorite, but even at these lopsided figures he was generously supported. The race was the fourth on the card, a three-quarters dash for three year-olds. Off well in his stride, Gregor K. suffered Angelo to run in close company to him for the first quarter, after which he assumed an easy command and, holding onto his advantage thereafter, won in hollow fashion by three lengths, Angelo finishing a head before Dan McKenna for second place. Angelo had about enough after running well for five eighths and was tiring so rapidly at the end that he would have lost second place to Dan McKenna in a few more strides. The latter was under a hard drive all through the last quarter and clung gamely to his work. He is said to be a good colt and was probably a little short.

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1923041601_2_6
Library of Congress Record: