view raw text
River Downs Championship Will Be Run on July 21 RIVER DOWNS, California, Ohio, June 13. — River Downs, under the name of Coney Island, made its debut in the racing world on July 6, 1925 and was given its present name in 1936. This course played host to some of Americas greatest thoroughbreds including Silver Fox, Display, Crusader and the mighty Discovery. River Downs also staged one of the greatest match races in history between Clang and Myrtlewood and is considered one of the fastest racing ovals in the nation. Three worlds records have been established at River Downs, Clang, three-quarters mile in 1:09%; Distribute, one mile and five and one-half furlongs in 2:51%, and South Dakota, one mile and 70 yards in 1:40. The famed Seabiscuit started three times at this course finishing third on all three occasions. River Downs in 1951 will offer the first 0,000 purse for a race to be run in Southern Ohio since 1935. This is the River Downs Championship which will be run on Saturday, July 21st.