Kenton Stables Double: Elemental and Ethel Clayton Carry Its Colors Successfully in the Main Races at Kenilworth, Daily Racing Form, 1922-10-05


view raw text

KENTON STABLES DOUBLE Elemental and Ethel Clayton Carry-Its Colors Successfully in the Main Races at Kenilworth. WINDSOR, Ont., October 4. Heavily backed favorites were bowled over in the first three races at Kenilworth this afternoon and the winners of these contests paid their backers handsome dividends. Arctic King, which beat Assyrian Queen by a nose in the opener, paid 0.05 in the mutuels, while Horinga, winner of the second, paid 6.00. The Kenton Stable played an important part in the afternoons results and furnished the winners of both of the feature races, Ethel Clayton beating a band of the best two-year-olds racing here in the third race, while Elemental triumphed over some useful racers in the fourth, a dash of seven-eighths which was provided as the main attraction. McTaggart had the mount on both of theso horses. Elemental won with comparative ease, while Ethel Clayton came from behind in her race, finishing on the outside and winning under a hard drive at the finish. The early pace in this race was quite fast, with Doc Gaiety in front and Seths Lemon forcing the pace. Both tired when the final test came, while Ethel Clayton was drawing away. Horinga, winner of the second, was ridden by Rensetti, a lad under contract to the Brookdale Stable, who was sent here for a bit of education. It was his first winning mount and he rode with good judgment. Horinga won because she saved much ground rounding the far turn, where she slipped through next to the inside rail. Ethel Clayton raced for the first time in the colors of the Kenton Stable. She was purchased of W. A. McKinney after her last race at the Woodbine. H. J. Klein and C. M. Lyons were visitors this afternoon. They are here in the interests of the Toledo meeting and are arranging for a special train to run from Detroit to Toledo every day during the Toledo meeting. FRANK BRTJEJf A VISITOR. Frank Bruen, general manager of the Cuba-American Jockey and Auto Club, wired that he would be here Thursday morning. Many of the horsemen racing here are anx- ious to ship direct to Havana and it is possible that some arrangement may be made for a special train to run from Windsor direct to Oriental Park. Jockeys Frank Wiison and Organ were up and about today none the worse for their fall in the seventh race yesterday. Wilson rode this afternoon and Organ will be seen in the saddle again tomorrow. Lady Meave bled in her race yesterday. It was the first time that she ever showed even indications of a bleeder and her trainer is of the opinion that it was the result of a little gathering in her head caused by a cold. Jockey Harbourne was suspended for the remainder of the meeting by the stewards. He crossed in front of the others with Colan-do shortly after the start and in the stretch in the last race yesterday he failed to keep his mount straight which was in a measure responsible for the accident in which Lucky Girl and Roseate fell. Old Chap when he won the seventh race yesterday automatically made himself ineligible for the fifth race this afternoon, the conditions of which called for non-winner3 since September 15. E. Glassco, a local breeder whose farm is located a short way back of Windsor, has added Greal Hawk to the list of brood mares at his farm. She will be mated to For Fair next spring. Old Chap was kicked just below the knee by Lucky Girl before he left the paddock yesterday, but the injury evidently had no effect oh him, although it swelled up a bit-In the race Lucky Girl also jumped on Gallant Groom and cut down Boots. Bandages was all that saved the latter from a serious injury. The mare herself, Lucky Girl, died during the night as a result of her fall, in which she sustained internal injuries.

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1922100501_16_4
Library of Congress Record: