Windsors Second Meeting: About 5,000 Persons Present for Opening Days Racing, Daily Racing Form, 1924-08-20


view raw text

WINDSORS SECOND MEETING - About 5,000 Persons Present for Opening Days Racing. Fredericktown Carries Off the Windsor Jockey Club Handicap, the Inaugural Attraction. 1 . WINDSOR, Ont., Aug. 19. Fredericktovrn carried the silks of H. S. Hart to a length victory over Redstone in the eleventh renewal of the Windsor Jockey Club Handicap, feature of the opening of the second summer meeting of the Windsor Jockey Club from which the stake derived its name. Best Pal finished four lengths behind the first two and a length in advance of Missionary. Polly Wale the other satrter was beaten off. The race was worth ,970 to the winner. The opening-day crowd was not as large as expected. There were a few more than 5,000 persons in the crowd which assembled to see the seven races. Threats of rain probably kept a few away. The clouds did nothing more than threaten, however, and the afternoon Avas pleasant. The track was fast Redstone made the pace in the feature. Beginning first he was taken under immediate restraint by Terry Wilson and the others were so close to him at the first turn that all of them were forced to race wide in varying degrees. This enabled Wilson to assume a lead of a length and a half without taking anything out of his mount. Redstone continued to show the way easily until straightened out while Fredericktown was gaining gradually from his slow beginning. At the head of the stretch Missionary had been tucked away but Fredericktown was just beginning to run. He caught Redstone an eighth out and began to draw clear from there on. Director went to the front shortly after the start in the opener and remained there through the five and a half fiirlongs, winning by a length from Polynesia, which finished with fine speed. Sandy Hatch beat the others in a good field of platers. L. Lang, in the silks of George Pease, rode the winner. Traymore with Walls in the saddle followed the pacemaker, Marie Dattner, until straightened out in the stretch in the second race and then began to draw away into the three length lead that separated him and Oland at the end of the five and a half furlongs. Clavichord took third place from Bow Bowers and Marie Dattner. Both of the latter quit. The winner races in the colors of M. G. Cundiff. Normanna carried the colors of W. C Baines to an easy victory in the third race. Continued on sixteenth page. WINDSORS SECOND MEETING Continued from first page. It was at one mile and a sixteenth. Ren-zetti rated Normana just back of the pacemaker, Black Shasta, for half a mile then moved past her into a safe lead. Wrack-horn followed the leaders closely and held on well in the final drive to finish second although unable to threaten the winner seriously. Black Shasta tired but saved third place. Deputy received a good ride from D. Fisher. He followed the pacemaker closely all the way, saving ground and clung to the Inner rail when straightening out in the stretch. Fisher rode his mount out to win. Bigheart set the pace under restraint. Best Love following him closely under restraint but at the turn into the homestretch came just far enough away from the inner rail to permit Deputy to slip through. The sprinting part of the program was featured by the Belle Isle Purse in which Deputy triumphed by a neck over Bigheart Best Love was two lengths behind the first two at the end of the three-quarters and a like distance in advance of Captain Haney, the other contestant. G. A. Alexandra received a wire from his son Bert, minimizing the seriousness of the injury suffered by jockey R. Punshcn when brushed from a horse van by an overhead bridge on the way from Fort Erie to Niagara Falls. Punshon is under contract to Mr. Alexander. At first it reported that the boy had been killed. The later report says that he suffered an injury to his neck for which an operation will be necessary, but it is believed that he will live. Fred Richard, president of the Dorval Jockey Club, is an arrival to attend the meeting of the Canadian Racing Associations tomorrow. Dr. J. G. Mitchell, the Nevada Stock Farm veterinarian, is treating S. A. Cowans Reprimand and believes he will be able to save the animal. It was believed that the horse had broken down hopelessly in the race from which Cowan claimed it from Frank Farrar. A. G. Robertson is under the care of a doctor for treatment of blood poisoning in one of his hands. William Porter has arranged a special over the Canadian Pacific to leave here for Ottawa after the close of the meeting next Tuesday. For deserting the employ of J. K. L. Ross the apprentice K. Hallman has been posted. C. N. Rogers is an arrival from Kentucky. Seventy riders are listed with Ed Whyte as available at this meeting. This is the largest number assembled at one Canadian meeting this summer. Harry Morrisey reported success with his mission to Saratoga in search of horses for the Ottawa meeting. He obtained the promises of James Boden that he will ship the Triple Springs Farm horses to the capital. Three of Andy Blakelys will travel with the shipment Steve Judge promised him Edisto and a couple of others. R. I. Miller said he would send five to Ottawa and Phil Chinn promised double that number. George Pease represented in the first race by Director, claimed AY. L. Drakes Polynesia for ,500.

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1924082001_1_4
Library of Congress Record: