view raw text
State Gets ,136,937 In Revenue From Sport Rhode Island Benefits Greatly From Meeting at Narragansett PAWTUCKET, R. I., June 13.— The State of Rhode Island has been paid a total of-,136,937.99 as its share of the pari-mu-tuels tax and breakage from the highly successful 25-day meeting which concluded at Narragansett Park last Saturday. A breakdown of this amount between the state itself and the cities and towns of Rhode Island is rather complicated, because of an additional one-half of one per cent the tracks are contributing voluntarily during the present emergency period. From the original pari-mutuels tax of three and one-half per cent, the cities and towns of Rhode Island take 75 per cent, the state the remaining 25 per cent. The state takes the entire additional one-half of one per cent, plus one-half of the full breakage, an arrangement which Gov. Howard Mc-Grath has termed "a life saver" for the state at this time. While complete figures from last Saturday which was Charity Day are not yet complete, president James E. Dooley has stated they would be in excess of 0,000. This important total will provide much needed assistance to local hospitals and other worthy charities. Despite the inclement weather which caused 10 "off" tracks during the meeting, favorites scored to the tune of 33 per cent. The total amount wagered was 4,288,889 for a daily average of 71.556 — a New England record.