Discovery at His Best: Hangs Up New Worlds Record of 1:481/5 for Mile and an Eighth, Daily Racing Form, 1935-06-24


view raw text

DISCOVERY AT HIS BEST m ■ Hangs Up New Worlds Record of 1:48y5 for Mile and an Eighth. • Runs Away From King Saxon and Omaha to Win Brooklyn Handicap by Eight Lengths. 1 NEW YORK, N. Y., June 22.— A. G. Van-derbilts four-year-old Discovery won the Brooklyn Handicap at Aqueduct today, duplicating his success of last year in the same event, and in an amazing display of speed, hung up a new worlds record for one mile and an eighth in 1:48% to lower the former mark of 1:48% established by Hot Toddy at Belmont Park on September 13, 1929 and equalled by Blessed Event at Hia-leah Park on March 10, 1934. The Discovey of today was the Discovey of last year when the Vanderbilt colt was considered the second best three-year-old, being surpassed only by Cavalcade. In carrying off the Brooklyn Handicap for the second year in succession, Discovery defeated King Saxon by eight lengths with Omaha, the triple crown hero, a distant third. Unfortunately,, after the running Cal Rainey, who rode King Saxon, made a frivolous claim of foul that occasioned some delay before the stewards put the official O. K. on the race. In the run through the stretch Discovery crossed King Saxon when he moved over to the rail but at the time the Knebelkamp colt was soundly beaten. CROWD OF 20,000. There were some 20,000 out to see the meeting of King Saxon and Omaha. Discovery had been beaten in every appearance and before the running it was generally agreed it was to a be a two-horse race, and he was not one of the two. However, Discovery returned to the form he displayed last year and furnished one of the biggest surprises of the current season. The sport furnished the immense weekend crowd was of the first order and, while it was marred to an extent by a fall in the steeplechase that sent the accomplished amateur, Rigan McKinney, to the hospital, the reports were that his most serious hurt was a broken nose. After both Kievex and Coequel were withdrawn from the Brooklyn field, there were six left to race, and it carried a net value of 0,200 to the winner. Thursday and King Saxon both caused some delay at the post, but the start was a good one and, as was expected, Cal Rainey at once rushed to the front with King Saxon, which began setting a sizzling pace. Running the first quarter in :231s, he was two lengths in the clear, and it was Discovery which was following the pace. He was a full five lengths before Somebody at the end of the first quarter, and Somebody in turn was leading Omaha by two lengths, with Thursday and Good Goods bringing up the rear. REMARKABLY FAST RACE. But Rainey really "turned out" with King Saxon in the second quarter, which the son of Saxon ran in :23% to reach the half-mile mark in :46%. But Discovery was holding his position and with all his speed King Saxon could not shake him off. It only meant that Discovery drew out a bit farther from the others, and Bejshak had the magnificent son of Display under a slight restraint with all the speed that was being shown. Somebody was soon doing his best in third place, and Wright began his move with Omaha moving up a bit closer, but he was still lengths away from the flying leaders. King Saxon was still two lengths clear as he swung into the long stretch and the six furlongs had been run in 1:11% but Discovery was dogging him and when the son of Display was so close it was apparent he would be the winner. By that time Omaha • was in third place but he was five lengths back of Discovery and under a drive. Continued on twenty-seventh page. DISCOVERY AT HIS BEST Continued from first page. The mile was reached in 1:35% and there Discovery came alongside. Rainey had saved ground on the rail and as Discovery drew alongside he was close to the colt, then as he was on by, Bejshak crossed to the rail to have the handsome chestnut draw away and come home an easy winner by eight lengths. It was a truly remarkable performance, considering the ease with which it was accomplished and the fast time, that set a new worlds record. Omaha was beaten four lengths by King Saxon and he was half a dozen lengths before Good Goods. The race pretty thoroughly demonstrated that the mile and a furlong is beyond the King Saxon limit and Omaha did not add anything to his reputation for he had no excuse, except the excuse that it was a too swiftly run race. In winning the Brooklyn Handicap Discovery established his second worlds record in less than one year. Last September 3 he set the mark for one mile and three-sixteenths in 1:55 flat in a race at Narragansett Park. In the Brooklyn he ran the mile and a furlong distance in 1:48%. This clipped one-fifth of a second off the record jointly made by Hot Toddy at Belmont Park on Sept. 13, 1929, and Blessed Event at Hialeah Park, March 10, 1934. It clipped two-fifths of a second off the Aqueduct track record made by Peanuts on Sept. 18, 1926. The English record for one mile and a furlong is 1:49%, made by Disarmament at Newmarket and equalled by Wychwood Abbot at the same track when they won the Cambridgeshire Handicap in 1931 and 1934, respectively. The Australian record is 1:49%, made I by Fujisan at Eagle Farm, Queensland, in 1926. King Saxon, which finished second, was the pacemaker for one mile. He ran the first quarter in :23%, the half mile in :46%, six furlongs in 1:11% and the mile in 1:35%. The mile record at Aqueduct is 1:36 flat and was set by John P. Grier on June 25, 1921. The greatest speed was manifested in the second quarter, which was run in :22%. The third quarter was covered in :25% and the fourth in :24%. Discovery carried 123 pounds and King Saxon 127 pounds. Both colts are four-year-olds. King Saxon carried one pound more than the scale and Discovery three pounds less. Triumphant, the one-eyed son of Dis Done — Thais, gave new evidence of his quality when he carried the silks of C. V. Whitney to an easy victory in the Islip, an overnight dash for two-year-olds. It was the third victory in four starts for this colt and his one defeat was in the National Stallion Stakes, in which he suffered such interference at the start as to have no chance. "Sonny" Workman, who had the mount, rode with supreme confidence. He permitted the colt to drop back badly in the first part and rounding the elbow of the course when he was still three lengths back of Clocks and Billie Bane he sat still on the handsome big bay. Then he simply had to shake him up to have him move to the front and he was in hand again when he won by a length and a half. The colt did not swerve as he did in his last previous race at this track but Workman had such a nice hold of his head that it probably helped him hold a comparative straight course. Clocks outfinished Billie Bane to take the place and he was a length and a half before the son of Braedalbane, with Galsac finishing a close fourth. Departing from the usual custom of having tne steeplechase the second race of the day, the Lionheart Handicap over the short course was run as the opening one on the big holiday card. This brought victory to the silks of Mrs. Gwladys Whitney, when her Rideaway was piloted successfully by the amateur J. N. Theodore, but there was an unfortunate accident when Thomas Hitchcocks Amagansett, the choice of the four that started, went down at the third fence with the amateur Rigan McKinney. After Amagansett was eliminated by his fall it became a two horse race with F. Ambrose Clarks Red Flash giving Ride-away plenty of argument right to the last fence. H. E. Talbott, Jr.s Pavilion Royal, the only other starter, was always outrun and then he went down three fences from the finish but he was remounted by Christian to complete the course for third. Mr. McKinney was taken from the field in the track ambulance. It was discovered he had suffered a broken nose and a slight concussion as a result of his fall and was removed to the Glen Cove Hospital. An accident occurred in the second race, a five furlong dash for plater juveniles, when "Sonny" Workman was unseated from Lew Dunbar at the break. Fortunately he was not seriously hurt and he returned to the scales in the starters motor car. This dash went to Blue Donna, from the stable of Leslie E. Keiffer, and it was the first winner sent to the post by Vincent Mara, a trainer who won one of the training prizes at Hialeah Park last winter when he was pinch hitting for James Fitzsim-mons. The Geneseo Stables Billowy Wave, ridden by K. Knott, was an easy winner of the final race of the day. Coming from the rear of the pace and forced to the inside in the final furlong, this one disposed of opposition and drew away. Firelock showed speed from the start but towards the finish bothered Scotch Soldier, although the latter was apparently whipped at the time. A claim of foul was lodged and after a short deliberation it was allowed. The claim was against Firelock for interference in the final furlong, and the final placing was Billowy Wave, Scotch Soldier and Mickeys Man. *

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1935062401_1_3
Library of Congress Record: