Flying Easy Victorious at Homewood: Ellis Mare Runs down Burnt Cork, Daily Racing Form, 1943-06-30


view raw text

Flying Easy Victorious at Homewood; Ellis Mare Runs 1 Down Burnt Cork Favorite Sets Fast Pace, But Gives Way in Drive — Walmac Silks in Double HOMEWOOD, 111., June 29.— Flying Easy, owned by James C. Ellis, raced from last place in the final quarter mile to be returned the winner of the Chicago Heights Handicap, the six-furlong feature of todays card at Washington Park. Strongly ridden by jockey Nick Jemas, the daughter of Ma-tadi wore down Eddie Andersons Burnt Cork to win by three-quarters of a length, with Mrs. A. M. Creechs Sales Talk running third, a length and a quarter farther back. Flying Easy, who was making her third trip to the winners circle this year, was not persevered with when she was outrun for the first half mile, but Jemas put her to strong pressure after bringing her to the outside in the homestretch and she responded willingly. She still had only one horse beaten a furlong from the wire, but she was traveling in high gear by now and she quickly disposed of the others, passing Burnt Cork in the last few strides. Cuts Out Fast Pace Burnt Cork cut out a fast pace and when he drew out in the stretch it appeared he might win, but he weakened in the final sixteenth to the disappointment of those who made him the favorite. In finishing third, Sales Talk also cams from far back, beating Suncap and Mixer, who dead heated each other, two lengths. Urge Me, who forced Burnt Corks pace for a half mile, was the only other starter. Flying Easy, who paid .80 for , ran the six furlongs under her 110 pounds impost, in 1:1235. The Walmac Farm, which sent Snack out to win the days opening event, provided the winner of the Whichone Purse, in The Native, who beat six other three-year-olds in that six-furlong sprint. In a lively stretch battle with the heavily supported Busyridge, owned in partnership by Mrs. Katherine Maxwell and John M. Goode. The Native won by a little less than a length, while the Greentree Stables Armistice Day ran third. The Native, ridden by Leo Dotter, was a sharp factor from the beginning and, near-ing the homestretch, he took the lead away from Busyridge. The Walmac colt was never headed thereafter but, in the last eighth, Busyridge came on again and was gradually wearing him down. Only Dotters energetic handling kept The Native in front of his rivals to the end. Though Busyridge could not beat The Na- Continued on Page Twenty-Eight I ; j ! j j j [ 1 j j ! • . * s I 1 Flying Easy Drives Hard To Defeat Burnt Cork Comes From Behind to Register in Feature Event at Washington Park Continued from Page One tive, he was much the best of the others for he defeated Armistice Day a good four lengths for second honors. Fourth to complete the three-quarters of a mile, which the winner covered in 1:12% was Last Chick owned by Lt. Col. C. V. Whitney and she came from last place in the field of seven to miss third money by a half length. The longest-priced winner of the Chicago season presented itself when Snack, a juve-S nile filly representing the Walmac Farm. took the opening event, a dash of five and a half furlongs and paid 45.20 for . Making the second start of her career, the Walmac filly showed early speed, took command a furlong from the wire and clung to her advantage under the energetic handling of William Balzaretti. Iron Maiden, the favorite and one of the first get of the stallion, War Admiral, accounted for second honors, while Foreign Shot came from far back to be third. Gunflash and Day and Night, who were among the leaders over the early furlongs, gave way badly in the drive and finished far back. Snacks victory raised prospects of a Daily Double pay-off of near record pro-; portions, but one of the choices, W. G. Mccartys Knight Call, won the six furlongs second race and the return was only 24.20, Knight Call himself paying .20 for in the mutuels. Knight Call, ridden by Pliney Johnson, raced the early furlongs in hand and when called upon in the stretch, re- sponded by forging to the front. He gradually drew clear and won by a length and a quarter, as Miss Lexington, the early pacemaker, beat Captain Fury a half length for the place. Huri Horn Hari raced with the leaders here for about half the distance and then stopped so abruptly that he wound up last in the field of twelve.

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1943063001_1_5
Library of Congress Record: