Boxer Henry Held in 0,000 Bail: Hearing of Case Set for June 14, Daily Racing Form, 1954-06-07


view raw text

Boxer Henry Held in 0,000 Bail Hearing of Case Set for June 14 Speculate on Possibility That Ring Bribe Attempt May Be Work of Syndicate NEW YORK, N. Y., June 5 UP. Clarence Henry, 27 - year - old Philadelphia heavyweight charged with attempting to bribe another boxer to throw a bout, was held in 0,000 bail today in felony court. There was no one immediately available to put up the bail, so Henry was remanded to prison. Magistrate Thomas H. Cullen adjourned the case until June 14 at the request of Assistant District Attorney James Fitzpatrick. At the same time, District Attorney Frank S. Hogan summoned several unidentified suspects in launching his investigation to learn whether Henrys alleged bribe attempt was an outgrowth of a national fight-fixing syndicate. Henry, once the third-ranked contender in the heavyweight division, was arrested yesterday and- charged with offering middleweight Bobby Jones of Oakland, Calif., 5,000 to "take a dive" in next Friday nights bout against Joey Giardello of Philadelphia in Madison Square Garden. Believed Three Approached Henry Robert Melnick, Jones Eastern representative, told Hogan he believed Jones had been approached by three different fix rings attempting to induce him to throw the fight. Melnick said, however, the bribe attempt might have been the work "" of a national syndicate. It was reported that Hogan has questioned a featherweight boxer and now is seeking a New Jersey racketeer with a long criminal record. Henry, who spent the night in jail, appeared in felony court today dressed in a sport coat, green sport shirt and tan slacks. He stood poker-faced and silent while Fitzpatrick read ah affidavit outlining the boxers attempts to induce Jones to "take a dive" against Giardello for 5,000. Fitzpatrick demanded 0,000, bail and Henry was asked by Magistrate Cullen if that sum were agreeable. Henry, who had no lawyer, then asked for permission to talk to his wife, who had come from Philadelphia to be present at the arraignment. The fighter and his wife talked for 12 minutes and then he returned to the bench ind told the magistrate that the bail amount was agreeable but that he did not know "when or if I will be1 able to raise the money." Henrys wife refused to tell reporters her name and left the courtroom with another man who described himself as "a friend." The courtroom was crowded with spectators. I

Persistent Link:
Local Identifier: drf1954060701_2_1
Library of Congress Record: